One of L.A.'s most popular holiday traditions is ice skating at the various outdoor rinks throughout the city. Take advantage of the beautiful Los Angeles winter weather and get a tan as you skate on a sunny afternoon. Or you can bundle up and enjoy the crisp night air while skating under the stars. Just remember the rules of the rink and enjoy the holidays.
The Los Angeles Kings are hosting their popular holiday outdoor attraction, LA Kings Holiday Ice at three locations: L.A. LIVE (Nov 10, 2018 - Jan. 6, 2019), Westfield Topanga in Woodland Hills (Nov. 17, 2018 - Jan. 6, 2019) and The Pike Outlets in Long Beach (Nov 16, 2018 - Jan. 6, 2019). The Kings and AEG opened the first Holiday Ice Rink at L.A. LIVE in 2009, and it's since become an annual L.A. holiday tradition. This is the third consecutive year the Kings have hosted an outdoor ice rink in Woodland Hills and Long Beach, both in their same locations.
Each rink will feature a special opening day event:
L.A. LIVE (Saturday, November 10)
- Rink opens at 5 p.m.
- Special appearances by Bailey and the LA Kings Ice Crew
- LA Kings Fan Fest takes place prior to that night’s Kings-Calgary game
- Live ESPN Deportes radio broadcast from 5-7 p.m.
The Pike Outlets (Friday, November 16)
- Rink opens to the general public from 6:30-10 p.m.
- Special opening night celebration from 6-9 p.m. features Santa and a special Tree Lighting
- Team LA Merchandise Truck on site from 8-10:30 p.m.
- Special appearances by LA Kings Ice Crew from 5-10:30 p.m.
- Live ESPN Deportes radio broadcast from 6-8 p.m.
The Promenade at Westfield Topanga (Saturday, November 17)
- Rink opens at 4 p.m.
- Special appearance by Bob Miller and LA Kings Ice Crew
- Live ESPN Deportes radio broadcast
Dates of operation at each rink is subject to change. For more information and to purchase tickets, visit the LA Kings Holiday Ice website.
Now in its 21st year, Holiday Ice Rink Pershing Square kicks off its 2018-19 season on Nov. 15 and runs daily through Jan. 21, 2019. Framed by skyscrapers and adorned with festive holiday lights, L.A.'s largest outdoor ice skating rink spans 7,200 square feet and welcomes more than 54,000 skaters and 450,000 spectators annually.
The annual Icebreaker Opening Celebration is taking place on November 15 at 11am. This year’s event features a number sung by the cast members of Wicked with skaters especially choreographed to the soundtrack, skate performances, special guests and more. After the literal “icebreaking” ceremony when a large ice sculpture is shattered, the Holiday Ice Rink Pershing Square’s first skaters will be underserved children from the Los Angeles communities.
Every Wednesday during the season will be dedicated to Wicked and named Wicked Wednesdays. Ice rink lights will be predominantly green and every third song played will be from Wicked cast album during the 7pm, 8:30pm and 10pm (if applicable) sessions.
General admission for each one-hour session is $14, including figure or hockey skate rental. Group rates and private party options are available. Hours and times vary by day. To purchase advance tickets and for more info, visit holidayicerinkdowntownla.com or call (213) 624-4289. A portion of proceeds will benefit the City of Los Angeles Department of Recreation & Parks. Go Metro to the Pershing Square Station and receive a $1 skating session discount.
Free special events this season include:
- DJ Spotlights - Get your skating groove on with DJ Howly, who mixes old school turntablism with cutting-edge new school vibes. The popular series continues throughout the season on Thursdays from 7-9:30 p.m. (except Thanksgiving)
- Learn to Curl - Channel your inner Winter Olympian at this beginner's curling pop-up hosted by the Hollywood Curling Club. Learn to Curl is taking place from 8:30-9:30 a.m. on Nov. 17, Dec. 15 and Jan. 12. Admission is free. Advance registration at the rink's website is required.
- Silent Skate Party - Experience a silent disco on ice! On Nov. 28 and Dec. 19, skaters are handed their headphones, choose from three different channels of music, and dance/skate the night away! Two sessions, 7-8 p.m. and 8:30-9:30 p.m.
Every holiday season, Downtown Santa Monica transforms the corner of 5th Street and Arizona Avenue into Ice at Santa Monica. The 8,000 square-foot ice skating rink brings a winter wonderland to the beachside community and has become a beloved annual tradition. Admission is $15 for all-day skating, including skate rental. The Randy Gardner School of Skating provides ice skating lessons with experienced professionals for skaters of all skill levels.
Priced at $300, an event cabana rental gives you exclusive use of one 20'x20' cabana for two hours. Cabanas can comfortably accommodate up to 25 people and are equipped with three tables, tablecloths, and 16 chairs. Add a party package to your event cabana rental and let the Ice at Santa Monica staff handle the details. Party packages may be added up to 48 hours in advance of your event and will be charged at a rate of $150 per party package on the day of your event. Each party package includes:
- 12 Admissions/Skate Rentals
- Cups, plates, napkins, candles (for birthdays)
- 2 large 1-topping pizzas
- 2 beverage selections (soda, juice or water)
For more information, call the Ice team at 310.260.1199.
Discover new traditions mingled with old-fashioned holiday cheer at the Queen Mary Christmas. Stroll the beautiful decks of the legendary ship and experience thousands of twinkling lights, carolers and musical performances, meet and greets with Santa, and more. Slip on a pair of skates and glide around the True North Ice Rink located atop the Sports Deck of the Queen Mary - 181 feet off the ground - with a 360-degree view of the Long Beach skyline and harbor. The glittering stars and historic smoke stacks will light your way!
Ice skating is $15 per person (includes ice skates) and is scheduled in 45-minute sessions. Ice skates and sizes are subject to availability. First come, first served skate assists are available at additional cost. General Admission to the Queen Mary Christmas is $22 and does not include ice skating. Ticket options include the First Class Passport and the VIP Grand Passport, which includes numerous activities such as ice skating.
Downtown Burbank’s most festive holiday tradition is back for outdoor ice skating, fundraising events, and special performances. The Rink in Downtown Burbank will be open from Thursday, Dec. 13, 2018 through Sunday, Jan. 6, 2019. A great way to celebrate the holidays, The Rink in Downtown Burbank is just steps away from more than 400 shops and restaurants, and the recently renovated Burbank Town Center. Located next to Burbank City Hall at the corner of Third Street and Orange Grove Avenue in Downtown Burbank, hours of operation will be 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily, extended to 11:30 p.m. on Friday and Saturday nights.